Saturday, July 15, 2006

As others see us ...

Every once in a while, believers shoot themselves in the foot – or something more disastrous. Dr. Kent Hovind, a well-known creation speaker, is being prosecuted on 58 federal charges (read the article here). First, I believe that Dr. Hovind is innocent until proven guilty. But, I have seen this before. Christians try to do things that the normal man would consider shady – at best. What damage is done to our witness for Christ. It really doesn’t matter that is was “that guy” when we are all tarred with the same brush. Whether it is “fundamentalist,” “creationist,” “evangelist,” or “Bible believer,” other’s testimonies are hurt when believers act idiotically. Again, I am not pronouncing guilt on Dr. Hovind. These may be trumped up charges. Or, they may not. Time will tell. The issue is that integrity matters. The moment we start down the road toward our own convenience, integrity goes out the window. I hope these charges are proven untrue. I also hope that we all learn to walk with integrity in all of our life.

2 comments:

Corey said...

So far, your blog on Kent Hovind's arrest is the only one that is willing to give him a chance.

It is well known in scientific community that Hovind does not tell the truth about evolution, even Answers In Genesis does not agree with him.

He, alledgedly, has been failing to pay taxes for years. This certainly does put creationists in a bad light, but it shows the truth about Hovind's hypocrisy.

Always Forward said...

Corey,

The only chance I am giving Dr. Hovind is the one that flows from my not knowing anything about the history of which you speak. I do know that many believers think highly of him. My hope is that whether Dr. Hovind discredited or not, believers learn from this event. Integrity is everything when it comes to reputation. Evidently his integrity is already suffering in other areas. So be it. My main point still stands.