Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Milestones of Thanksgiving - Submit!

We’re getting ready to travel to my son’s home in Indiana. On the way we will pick up our daughter and her husband. My wife and I have gone back and forth on which route to take to get there. There are parts of going around Chicago that we do not enjoy. So, we have started going through Iowa and across to the bottom of Chicago and across Indiana. That route is not really open to us. So we considered going state highways in Iowa for a while. Then our son tells us that we should not worry about going through Chicago. We can also go south from Rockford and take 80 across. So now we have 3 possible routes to go. Which one to take? I think we have decided to take our son’s suggestion. That way, if it’s a mess, we can make him feel bad for leading us wrong. And if it’s a great route, we can tell him how wonderfully smart he is. Naw – really, we will probably not make the final decision until we are .5 miles from the intersection that makes the difference. On the other hand, we know that our future is really not in doubt. We do not know it, but our God does. Which brings me to the second Milestone of Thanksgiving. Submission.

Proverbs 16:9 says, “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” Consider this. Real thankfulness to God acknowledges and submits to God’s loving sovereignty and control.

In this brief consideration, I want to link James 4:13-15 to this passage in Proverbs. Consider the first part of our verse.

“A man’s heart plans his way.” We make plans. They are either long range, or .5 miles from the intersection that makes the difference. But seldom do we live a random life. Even in times of uncertainty, we endeavor to develop a strategy for whatever part of life we can see coming, however dimly. The New Testament author, James, points out that while we all make plans, we need to understand that the future is not in our control. He reminds us that our life is like a mist or “vapor” that is gone almost as soon as it appears. That level of uncertainty is not entirely comfortable to most of us. We like to think that we can have control over something, that we can make a difference, leave some sort of legacy. So we make intricate plans. It is natural to make plans. It is even wise to make plans. However, it is not wise to consider our plans the end of the discussion.

The last part of the proverb says, “…but the Lord directs his steps.” I can remember making lots of plans, having lots of dreams, seeing many opportunities. However, I also remember how unseen changes on the path, circumstances beyond my control, changed my direction, and brought me to a place where God is using me. Could He have used me where I wanted to be. Sure. If he had wanted me there. But he wanted me here. And he directed my path here. Interestingly, the writer of our proverb makes a distinction between steps and path. At best, I can only plan a few steps, and I might even take those steps. But, God has the plan of my life in His hands. If I let Him, He can take my faltering, uncertain steps and He can bring them to the place where He always intended me to be. The only requirement – submitting to His leading. When we get there, we can be truly thankful.

No comments: