Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

The kitchen is finally clean again. A really great Thanksgiving meal. Loving the family here. Missing those who could not make it. Wishing we were there/they were here.


God is good. Many blessings this year. Sat on the couch with my wife - my arm around her. Many of the things for which I am thankful revolve around her - God's gift to me.

Thinking about all of this.

What can I say? Not enough. But I can say.

What can I do? Not nearly enough. But I am compelled to do.

How much do I love Him? Ah. As the Bard said, "Aye, there's the rub."

There is a thankfulness that does not spring from love. The thankfulness of a customer for services rendered; the thankfulness of a manager for the effective work of an employee. But that is not the thankfulness that I should render to my Lord.

The thankfulness of a man who has been delivered from death by one who stood to gain nothing by the deed. The thankfulness of a woman who has fallen irretrievably in love with the man who has chosen her. The thankfulness of a creature whose God has deigned to pour out blessing in spite of the creature's rebellion.

I am thankful. At the prayer for our family meal - tears for the goodness of God, for the tender mercies of God, for the gift of His Son, for the gift of His Spirit.

I am thankful - beyond words.

No comments: