Friday, August 26, 2005

Brooding Long and Lovingly

I really enjoy the older men. I’m not thinking of real old, like Augustine, or Calvin. I do enjoy reading them from time to time. But I really enjoy men like Charles Spurgeon, and Andrew Murray, and A. W. Tozer. I was reading a devotion from Tozer today (Friday) and it struck me that it spoke not just to a pastor like myself, but in a striking way, for every believer – especially those who come to church every Sunday and wait for the pastor to teach them. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that the Word of God tells us that faithfulness to the Body of Christ and the public teaching of His Word is necessary. But – well, let me quote Tozer and then I’ll make a few observations.
Another disadvantage of a commentary is that it tends to destroy the art of meditation. We find it easier to turn to the commentary than to brood long and lovingly over a difficult passage, waiting for the light to break. This habit of taking the quick and painless way to knowledge is particularly bad for the minister, for it often sends him into the pulpit with borrowed armor. Even if what he learned is true, he got it by consultation instead of by meditation and the quality is sure to be impaired.
It is true that pastors often rely on commentaries, and now Bible software, to get to things quickly. We rush our study and preparation. As Tozer says, we take the “quick and painless way.” I know I would benefit from a little more long and loving brooding.

But, I think a similar pattern is seen in those who listen to pastors every Sunday. Hoping to get all they need in one or two doses on Sunday, they sadly neglect their own long and loving brooding over the Scriptures. I am going to try to improve the “art of meditation” in my life. If those who listen on the Lord’s Day spend time during the week “brooding” or meditating over God’s Word, then we might really be worshippers getting together, rather than just getting together to “worship.”

No comments: