Friday, August 19, 2005

Wanna' be happy?

I have always been in awe of him. He knew how to enforce his law, and he also knew how to bring out the love of his children. I remember his chastening, his corralling, his enforcing, and his encouraging. I remember his faithfulness to my mother, my sisters and myself, and to his Lord and to his ministry. I remember when he offered counsel, and when he thought it best not to. I remember when he was the hand of God to boost me up when I was down. I remember when he was the hand of God to slow me down when I was too quick.

It's hard to say what I remember most, or with the most joy. I remember how he let me make my decisions, even when he was concerned that I would make the wrong one. And I remember how he prayed for me, and when I made the best decision, he encouraged me.

I remember how he accepted my wife. I know that she feels as much his daughter as if she had been born into the family. I know how he influenced my children. They grew up in a ministry family, but they saw how it started in him and his wife.

"He" is my Dad. Monday will be his official 80th birthday. You couldn't tell it by watching him (although there are times when he knows it). Tonight our family will gather to celebrate a great man. We are doing it at one of his favorite restaurants. But as good as the food will be, what will be great is my Dad. He gave me his name. It was such a blessing to me, that I passed it on to my son. His name is Robert John Fuller (the original). And he's my Dad.

Oh, I have to finish the title. When I was in college he would motivate me with, "Wanna' be happy? Get to work and make it snappy!"

A literary genius!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always been very proud to be a "Fuller" , now I add one more reason why. Happy birthday Uncle Bob ...we love you !!
Jane ( the Tennessee Fuller )